People of all ages experience different types of ailments, both small and big, at some point in time in their lives. Fungal infections in skin are quite common and occur if fungus occurs on a particular part of the body. The body’s immune system also is not able to resist its occurrence. The fungus is known to live in plants, water, soil and air around us. Also, are present few fungi which exist naturally within the human body.
Similar to many microbes, you can come across harmful and helpful fungi. The latter when invades the body can make it difficult to destroy and eliminate them since they adapt to their surrounding environment and then re-infect the person managing to get better.
Fungal infection symptoms depend upon the type. Few common symptoms are given below:
- Skin changes, becoming red and peeling or cracking.
Types of fungi
Fungal infections that commonly affect are:
- Athlete’s Foot: It is also referred to as Tinea pedis is regarded to be one that affects commonly the food region. It is mostly associated with athletes and sports, since the fungus is found to grow in moist, warm environments, like shoes and socks, locker rooms and sports equipment. But any person can be affected by these fungi and it is common during summer and winter months. It has the ability to multiply quickly.
Symptoms: It may vary from one person to the other. Few symptoms include:
- Infected skin getting soft or the layers begin to break down.
- Blisters or redness on the affected region.
- Skin scales and then peel away.
- Cracking or peeling skin.
- Burning, stinging or itching sensation within the affected region.
Prevention, diagnosis & treatment: Not every itchy foot can be termed to be an occurrence of an athlete’s foot. Usually, infection is diagnosed with a scraping of scaling skin and thorough inspection under a microscope to find evidence of the occurrence of fungus. Topical antifungal ointments are often prescribed to treat this fungal issue, which can be purchased online or over the counter. Also, you need to take proper care of your feet and keep it dry all the time as it will destroy the fungus quickly. Prevention techniques include providing the feet with plenty of breathing air and keeping it dry and clean all the time. Sandals should be worn in locker rooms and public showers.
- Yeast infection: This might take place in the vaginal area and is considered to be a common type of Candida overgrowth occurring in women due to Candida albicans. Yeast and bacteria present in the vagina in normal balance get disturbed by Candida overgrowth. This bacteria imbalance could be because of hormone imbalances, poor eating habits, stress, and antibiotics. Also, diaper rash and fungal toenail infections may be caused.
Symptoms: It includes:
- Soreness and redness around the vagina.
- Pain or burning sensation during intercourse or urination.
- Swelling and itching around the vagina.
- Development of rash over time as noticed in a few cases.
- Unusual vaginal discharge like watery discharge or gray clumps resembling cottage cheese.
Prevention, diagnosis & treatment: If left untreated on time, its symptoms only become more severe and painful. The symptoms of this fungal infection are easy to diagnose. Past medical history like STIs (sexually transmitted infections) or yeast infections are taken into account. It also is known if antibiotics are being taken. To check infection signs, the cervix and vaginal walls are examined thoroughly. To avail of proper diagnosis, cells are taken from the vagina. It is based upon the severity of the infection that treatment is provided. Some common forms of treatments include suppositories, tablets or creams, available over the counter or online. But complex treatments will be necessary to treat complicated infections. Prevention of skin fungal infection causes is better done by maintaining proper hygiene and having a well-balanced diet. Loose-fitting clothes to be worn created from natural fibers to prevent infection. Hot water needs to be used to wash underwear and feminine products are to be changed frequently to avoid fungal growth or its further spread to the other body parts.
- Ringworm: Also referred to as Tinea corporis is caused by fungus surviving on dead tissues like the nails, hair, and skin. It causes both athlete’s foot and jock itch. When it occurs on any part of the body it is referred to as a ringworm.
Symptoms: It is easy to notice due to its unique shape. There occurs a red patch which can be scaly or itchy and often with time, turns into ring-shaped, raised patch on the skin. If not treated on time, it can spread into numerous rings. The ring’s external part is red and can appear bumpy or raised. The ring interior portion becomes scaly or remains clear. This fungal infection, however, is considered to be highly contagious, as it may affect another person through skin to skin contact including contact with pets like dogs. The fungus has the ability to survive on objects like brushes, cloths, and towels. It also affects the mud and soil. Hence, children and adults who work or play in the infected place are likely to contract this fungal infection.
Prevention, diagnosis & treatment: There are many skin conditions that are often mistaken for ringworm. Usually, for diagnosing purposes, the skin sample is taken. Once confirmed, treatment is prescribed depending upon the severity of the symptoms. Medicated ointments and creams will often suffice to provide a remedy to such fungal infection and are available online or over the counter. But severe ringworm or occurring on the scalp region will need a proper prescription from a well-established physician. Prevention includes maintaining basic hygiene at all times; keep the skin dry and clean. Sandals are recommended when using locker rooms or public showers and to avoid sharing towels and items.
It is necessary to understand that fungal infections affect humans and are common instances. Therefore, not being serious, it can be treated quickly. The best way to treat it is to use ketomac antifungal cream.