Yes, you know when to resort to anti-dandruff shampoo, but do you know how to find the best variety? Probably not! And if not, here is a guide that can help you zero in on the right anti-dandruff shampoo for the kind of hair you have-
- If you have dandruff in your hair, you should choose a shampoo with zinc pyrithione. Zinc pyrithione has antifungal and antibacterial properties because of which microbes do not grow on your scalp. As a result, the growth and breeding of Malassezia globosa, one of the biggest culprits for dandruff, get checked. This is a fungus, and the mentioned chemical fights it effectively.
- Go for a tar-based shampoo. Some anti-dandruff shampoos contain coal tar which slows down how skin cells get damaged and die. As a result, the scalp does not get flaky. And that is probably the reason why tar-based shampoos are considered one of the best dandruff treatments. It would help if you kept in mind here that tar-based shampoos are not suitable for coloured hair, mainly blonde white or grey hair. Hence, if your hair colour is one of these, refrain from using any shampoo containing tar.
- Tar based shampoos also make the scalp excessively sensitive to sunlight. That is why you should never move out of your house without hair protection if the shampoo you use has tar in it. You can either cover your hair with a piece of cloth or wear a hat for optimum protection.
- Shampoos containing selenium sulfide are also great to be used when you have a dandruff problem. The way Selenium sulfide works are pretty much similar to how tar works. Both of these chemicals slow down the pace at which skin cells die. As a result, the flakiness of scalp skin never surfaces as a problem. Selenium sulfide also fights the fungus called Malassezia globosa. But don’t use a shampoo containing this chemical if you have light-coloured hair, as this compound causes discolouration of hair. And even if you use such a shampoo, make sure you rinse your hair thoroughly so that shampoo residues don’t settle on your scalp and hair strands.
- You can also go for a shampoo that contains salicylic acid. Although salicylic acid is acid by nature, it is incredibly mild. It can soften the skin by removing dead skin cells from the scalp. But the results are not going to be the same across all the users. While some might benefit immensely from salicylic acid-containing shampoos, others might grumble about flakiness and dryness. The dryness and flakiness can be controlled by following your hair wash with deep conditioning.
- You can also go for ketoconazole shampoo. Ketoconazole is a highly effective antifungal agent that fights a variety of fungi.
Although there are many ketoconazole anti-dandruff shampoos in the market, there is no one better than Ketomac. Ketomac Shampoo is a medicated shampoo having ketoconazole that helps effectively treat dandruff. So, what makes you wait? Try out this shampoo and bid adieu to dandruff once and for all.