A common infection observed in the toe and fingernails is nail fungus which has the probability to spread from one nail to others. Also known as onychomycosis, it occurs due to hygiene negligence and can affect health. It causes nails to crumble from the edges and leads to its discoloration. If the problem is mild, there is no need for any medication, but, in severe cases, it causes thickening of nails and about 10% of the adults undergo this condition. An excessive amount of fungus growth is hazardous for the body, and it should be taken care of with time. Dermatophytes are the microscopic fungal organisms that are responsible for nail fungus along with other agents. Learn how ketoconazole cream for nail fungus can help in treating nail fungus in this blog.
Sometimes other nail abnormalities can be confused with nail fungus and the causes that lead to it are:
- Going to the gym or walking barefoot in wet/damp and communal areas.
- Using common public swimming pools.
- Visiting nail salons and using unsterilized instruments on nails.
- It is presumed that sweating in toes due to wearing tight-fitting footwear increases the risk of nail fungus. It also leads to foul-smelling feet.
- If a family member has the same condition the risk of others going through the same also increases. It is not necessary that contact with the infected person may lead to it.
- A condition of the athlete’s foot in the past increases the possibility of fungi.
- The weakened immune system lessens blood circulation.
The visible signs of nail fungus are includes:
- The odd shape of nails and may appear bigger than the normal size.
- White or yellowish color of nails.
- Some people do experience pain and discomfort in the foot.
- It is very difficult to see debris in foot nails and it leads to infection.
- Crumbly or ragged nails are another symptom causing this infection.
It’s better to control this fungus at the initial stage as with time it gets more complicated so the following are the measures that can be adapted to prevent the growth of fungal infection:
- Use nail lacquers and nail paint removers very little. If one has to use it, ensure not to compromise with quality.
- Wash your feet properly with soap, dry them using a towel and moisturize in the end.
- Getting manicure and pedicure done with sanitized tools.
- Avoid walking barefoot in communal areas such as gym and swimming pools.
- Regular use of footwear should also be hygienic and must be washed properly with disinfectant.
- Wear socks that absorb sweat and shoes that breathe.
- Wash hands after touching infected nails.
- Trimming nails short and keeping them clean.
- Treat the athlete’s foot before it spreads to nails.
It is still believed that home remedies are more powerful than costly medications to cure a disease, and in case of this infection, these home remedies prove to be a blessing for those who are suffering from it. Some of it may include:
Oregano Oil- When applied to affected areas, it helps to eradicate the infection, as it has carvacrol oil as a constituent in it. It has very strong antifungal properties. Sometimes oregano oil is combined with tea tree oil but it increases the risk factor as well.
Apple Cider Vinegar- This ingredient is found in every household and used in cooking as well. It proves to be an economical remedy to cure fungus. Soak your feet in water mixed with 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar you can also apply it to the affected area.
Ozonized Oils- Oils such as olive oil and sunflower oil prepared by mixing with gases in the ozone layer are more effective than other artificial medications. Apply it to the affected area daily and see the results.
Tea Tree Oil- Known for several benefits such as inflammation, acne, and dandruff it has helped to treat nail infection too. Due to its antifungal and antibacterial properties, it is applied twice daily on the toenail and the results are visible in a few days.
Diet– A healthy and nutritious diet plays a vital role in everybody’s life. Not just for nail infection but vitamins and minerals are necessary for the functioning of the body and one must never compromise with it.
Despite several home remedies to treat it, there are other useful treatments as well that have proven to do wonders to destroy the infection. One such reliable way out is ketoconazole cream to treat nail fungus. This antifungal medication restricts the growth of fungi and yeast on the skin. One can find it in the form of gel, and cream. Despite being a boon for the fungal treatment, it has other disadvantages as well. It causes a burning or irritating sensation on the skin and one may experience mild hair loss. This topical medication should only be preferred if the doctor has prescribed so. For people who are allergic to their constituents, switch to other alternatives. The overdosage of this cream is harmful as well so it should be used in the proportions as directed by the doctor. If there is any burning sensation, irritation, or pain after its application, one must see the doctor immediately. Also, applying it at intervals or skipping is not going to lessen the problem, it further increases the risk of infection. Another precaution while using it is to prevent it from entering into the eyes, mouth, nose, and lips. One should not cover the area where it is applied with tight socks or footwear.
Not just nail fungus, ketoconazole cream can be used to treat ringworm, dry and flaky skin, and athlete’s feet. This cream prevents the entry of debris or particles in the nails working as a protective shield and destroys the fungi to finish the infection. Hence, ketoconazole cream to treat nail fungus is a one-stop solution for the infection. It is easily available in medical stores and one must use it with caution and care.