What is Ketoconazole?
You may have come across a medicine named Ketoconazole and would like to know more about it. This antifungal medicine is created to treat, prevent, control as well as improve different types of fungal infections arising in the following:
- Throat or mouth
- Genital tract
- Skin infections like ringworm and athlete’s foot infections include certain types of dandruff.
Ketoconazole tablets: How does it work?
According to medical experts, this particular medicine is part of the Azole antifungal medicines group. Its function is to stop and prevent the growth of fungi of different types on the human body. Moreover, fungi prevent producing some membranes which otherwise are known to enclose the fungal cells.
How should you take Ketoconazole?
You can find Ketoconazole in a topical cream, oral suspensions, and tablets. You should take this medicine only as prescribed by your doctor after proper evaluation and diagnosing your particular problems. Your doctor will also prescribe the number of times to take this medicine and the quantity. If you are told to have tablets, you should swallow them whole. Avoid chewing it. These tablets are to be taken after completing your meal session. Otherwise, you will have a stomach upset and avoid this unwanted problem. If you are taking antacids, you are recommended to take Ketoconazole after 1 hour or 2 hours of having antacids. Otherwise, antacids could hinder Ketoconazole’s proper absorption in your body. If you are currently taking some drugs or medication, like Rabeprazole, omeprazole, pantoprazole, famotidine, or ranitidine, it is likely to reduce stomach acidity. Hence, you are recommended to take Ketoconazole and cranberry juice or a carbonated soda drink. This helps improve absorption.
If you are advised to use Ketoconazole cream, apply it evenly in thin layers. The initial dosage should be daily once or twice. The application area should be cleaned thoroughly and dried before applying the cream. Moreover, before and after using the cream, wash your hands properly. After applying the cream, the area where the cream is applied can be washed after a few hours and not immediately. Only then will it show its effectiveness and carry out its mission to stop fungi development. This medicine, be it tablets or cream, should be used for a particular timeframe as prescribed by your doctor and not for long as you wish.
Ketoconazole and its everyday usage
The physician takes several factors into account while prescribing the drug dosage. Some of them are given below:
- If you experience severity in your symptoms.
- Recommended based on the patient’s current medical condition or health status.
- History of drug or allergy reactions.
- Reactions on having the first dosage.
For children below 12 years, doctor consultation is always advisable before administering Ketoconazole. Avoid using the medicine for a more extended period or extra dosage than what is prescribed by your doctor. Ketoconazole 200mg tablets are usually taken once daily or as the doctor prescribed. You can also find the oral suspension in a 20 mg/mL formulation.
What precautions to take and things to avoid when taking Ketoconazole medicine?
If you suffer from the following health conditions, then avoid taking this medication:
- Liver disease
- Allergic reactions are noticed on taking this medicine or other antifungal medicines.
- A blood test shows magnesium or potassium in low levels.
- Lung disease, mainly chronic obstructive pulmonary related disease.
- Heart disease (heart valve disease, coronary artery disease, and heart failure)
- Kidney disease
- No or reduced stomach acid
- Addison’s disease reduced cortisol levels or testosterone levels.
Whatever be the disease or symptoms you experience, you need to disclose this to your doctor before taking Ketoconazole medicine.
Know the side effects of taking Ketoconazole
The truth is that almost all conventional medicines do come with some side effects, which again vary from one person to the other. According to health experts, administering any form of Ketoconazole medicine might develop side effects in the patient. But this is not always the case. You should consult your doctor immediately if you experience the following health issues after taking this medicine:
- Severe gas taking place in the stomach
- Changes experienced in your vision
- Depression, confusion, or nervousness
- Joint pain, muscle pain, and fatigue
- The sharp reduction in platelets and white blood cells
- Hepatitis (in rare cases)
- Enhanced liver enzymes
- Men experiencing enlarged breasts
- Changes in menstrual period
- Reduction in testosterone levels
- Problems arising in the Adrenal glands
- Reduced sexual interest
Moreover, Ketoconazole cream might cause swelling, stinging, redness, or irritation in the application area, which is a commonly noticed side effect.
What are the reported allergic reactions to taking Ketoconazole?
If you are allergic to any active ingredient or perhaps the constituents present, this medicine is not recommended. Some of the possible reported allergic reactions are given below:
- Swelling takes place in the throat, tongue, lips, or face
- Difficulty in breathing
- Severe skin rash
What are its effects on your body organs?
Your liver might get affected if you experience the following symptoms:
- Skin and eyes turning yellow
- Unusual fatigue
- Abdominal pain
- Pale stools
- Vomiting and nausea
- Fever and dark urine
What kind of drug interaction that you should be careful about?
Whatever your current medication or drugs you intake, whether herbal supplements or vitamins, inform your doctor during the first meeting. This will help you to prevent unwanted drug interactions.
Some common drugs may react negatively with Ketoconazole. It includes the following:
- H2 blockers like cimetidine
- Ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine
- Oral Midazolam
- Drugs generally used for erectile dysfunction treatment
- Statin drugs such as Atorvastatin
How to store Ketoconazole correctly and adequately?
- Store tablets at room temperature, around 15 to 25 degrees Celsius. Store oral solutions below 25C and not frozen. Could you keep it away from temperature and light?
Some Protips to follow
- Avoid taking this medication or changing drug dosage without a doctor’s advice.
- If you notice symptoms and signs associated with liver disease, inform your doctor immediately to get a proper diagnosis and treatment.
- Is it possible to have this medication with alcohol?
- Taking this drug in tablet form is likely to make you dizzy. Hence, taking it along with alcohol will only make you dizzier. Intake of alcohol might increase the risk associated with your liver.
- Is the drug addictive?
No! But there have been reports of people developing habit-forming tendencies on having this medicine. Follow your doctor prescribed ketoconazole tablets dosage to be safe and derive its benefits.