The fingernail is made of several parts, including the part that is visible called the nail plate. The skin beneath the nail plate is referred to as the nail bed, and the part of the nail that encloses the plate and rims the base is known as the cuticle. The lunula is the white part at the base of the nail in the shape of a half-moon, and the part of the nail hidden inside the cuticle is known as a matrix. Matrix is where fingernails start growing.
With the growth of new skin cells in the matrix, the old cells are pushed out. The cells that are pushed out take a flattened and hardened appearance of a fingernail. The nail’s growth rate depends on various factors such as age, time of the year, and sex of the person. A higher growth rate of fingernails is seen in males, young people, and during the summer season. As compared to toenails, the fingernails have a faster rate of growth. To ensure hygiene, it is essential to keep our nails clean at all times.
Nails are exceptionally delicate, and there are high chances of them getting damaged. This damage can be caused due to a lousy manicure or from the wear and tear it faces on a day-to-day basis. Such damage can be prevented by following certain simple habits that will help you ensure that your nails stay well maintained, solid and healthy.
Why is nail care critical?
Taking time out of your busy routine to take care of your nails will make you feel good about yourself. You will also look more groomed and put together. No matter how long it takes to get your nails done, no matter if you do it at the comfort of your home or a salon, there is something about well-cared-for nails that makes you feel more confident. Taking care of your nails improves not only your confidence but also your overall health. You use your hands for literally everything daily. Hence, it becomes your responsibility to take care of your hands.
Moreover, if you don’t show love and care towards your nails, your nails will risk developing a bacterial or fungal infection. These types of infections can, later on, cause more severe health issues. Therefore, it is better to be on the safer side by keeping your nails clean and hygienic.
Your fingernails are like little shields that protect your fingers and toes. If your nails become unhealthy, the tissue underneath them is more susceptible to infection from daily items you touch. Dermatologists say that healthy nails are those with consistent colour and a smooth texture. Adults should try to trim their nails every week to prevent germs from getting trapped under the nails. Germs like fungi cause nail infection, which is very hard to get rid of unless you use a nail cream fungal infection. Fingernails shouldn’t be ripped but clipped using good-quality nail clippers. Remember to moisturize your nails often and wash them whenever possible. To prevent nails from becoming soft, make sure you wear gloves as a protection layer while working with harmful chemicals.
How to take care of your nails?
Incorporating certain simple habits into your daily lifestyle will enable you to take better care of your nails.
- Regularly trim your nails: As straightforward as it might sound, regularly trimming your nails is the fundamental step towards having healthy nails. Always trim your nails properly to avoid the problem of ingrown nails. It is easier to cut your nails right after showering or bathing because that is the time your nails are the softest. If you want to soften the corners or edges of your nails, then you could use a nail filer. You should file your nails in only a specific direction because doing it in a back and forth motion may cause severe damage to your nails. Make sure to disinfect all your tools of nail care before using them.
- Apply a base coat, a top coat and use a gentle nail polish remover: Everyone loves painting their nails. But to prevent any damage, you should avoid using harsh nail polish. Besides, you must apply a base coat on your nails before painting them to prevent your nails from getting stained. It would help if you used an acetone-free remover to remove the nail paint, as these are mild and will not make your nails dry. Also, you can apply a top coat to avoid the chipping of your nail paint.
- Maintain your diet: Try to include omega-three fatty acids and protein in your diet. To promote keratin, a type of protein that the nail is made of, you must include foods like nuts, beans, and fish. Some other vitamins that improve nail health are Vitamin B, which helps strengthen your nails; zinc, which helps eliminate the white spots on your nails; and iron that stops the formation of nail ridges. Moreover, Vitamin A and C will help in keeping your nails more hydrated.
- Avoid keeping your nails in dirty and wet environments: Moisture and dirt promote the growth of fungus and bacteria in your nails. These accumulations of germs can be very difficult to remove afterwards. On top of that, if you keep your nails in touch with water for more extended periods, there are chances of you developing split fingernails. If a significant amount of your time is spent washing dishes, watering plants, or using harsh chemicals for cleaning, you must wear gloves to protect your nails as well as your skin from getting affected.
Vertical ridges on your nails are regular and white spots can be caused due to an injury that will eventually heal, and your nail will grow out. · Consult a doctor if something is wrong with your nails: They are excellent if your nails are smooth and don’t have any discolouration. But in case you notice discolouration in your nails, they get curled and separated from the nail bed than you should be concerned as these can be signs of fungal infection. It is essential to consult a doctor if you notice any abnormalities in your nails. If your nails stop growing or become suddenly thin or thick, you should consider getting them checked by a doctor.
- Stop biting your nails: Biting your nails will not only make your nails look unsightly but will also hamper your health as your nails contain germs that could enter into your system if you bite them. Hence, it would help if you did not indulge in that practice. One way of preventing this habit is applying nail polish. Since it has a bitter taste, it might help you quit this habit.
Nail fungus is one of the most common nail problems faced by people. This problem is a result of negligence. Try to prevent it as much as possible. If you get it, you can use nail fungal infection cream in India to eliminate the problem. Ketomac brand is highly reliable when it comes to anti-fungal creams.