We all know that skin forms the largest organ in the body and a very important function that the body needs to do is protect the skin from any sort of infection. In some cases it is the skin that gets infected on its own. These infections could be caused by a variety of germs that surround us, and the symptoms of each can vary from being mild to even serious in some cases. An important point to mention here is that mild infections can be treated with the help of over-the-counter treatments and medications. In certain cases home remedies for skin infection can also prove to be very effective when we talk about mild infections, but, in case of any other infection one may need to visit a doctor in order to fully understand the situation and treat it well.
Different types of skin infections
- Bacterial infections: Bacterial infections usually start from very small red bumps on the skin and then gradually become big and painful. In certain cases these are mild and can easily be treated by antibacterial creams or with tropical antibiotics but in cases where they are severe and these tropical antibiotics are not working one should consider taking oral antibiotics to treat them. These are further divided in 4 types
- Viral infections: When the skin in attacked by virus it could lead to infections called viral infections. Once again these could either be mild or they could be severe. The different types of viral are:
- mouth, hand and foot disease
- chicken pox
- Fungal infections: Most commonly developed in the dampest areas of the body just like your arm pit or feet, this type of infection is caused due to presence of fungus. Fungal infections in most of the cases are not contagious and life threatening and can be treated well by some of the best antifungal cream for skin. Types of fungal infections include:
- diaper rash in kids and adults
- yeast infection
- nail fungus
- ring worm
- athletes foot
- oral thrush
- Parasitic skin infection: Infections that are caused due to the presence of parasites. They are considered pretty seriously as they can easily spread to the blood stream and further the organs. Even though they may not be life threatening, but they surely are very uncomfortable. Different types of these are:
Symptoms you should not ignore
Depending upon the type of infection one has the symptoms would vary. In most of the cases it would start with redness on a particular area of the skin and even a rash. Other symptoms could be itching, tenderness and even pain. One should take care in case the severity of the infection does not reduce with time or you see that pus filled blisters have been formed; you should visit a doctor immediately. An important thing with skin infections that are left unattended is that they could get worse and spread via your blood streams to even other organs of the body.In case a situation like this occurs it becomes life threatening.Therefore, certain signs that you need to watch out are:
- skin breakdown
- dark appearing skin or discoloured skin that is extremely painful
Causes of these skin infections
Just like the symptoms of skin infection are different for all the types so are the causes. Let’s go through each of them in brief:
- Bacterial skin infection: This type of infection occurs when the bacteria enter the body and get inside the skin, this is most likely due to a cut or a scratch. Now, every time you get a cut or scratch would not mean that you would have infection but yes it does increase the chances as it puts the immune system to test by weakening it.
- Viral skin infection: These usually belong to 3 broad groups of viruses: human papillomavirus, poxvirus and herpes virus.
- Fungal infection: your lifestyle and body chemistry increases the risk of having fungal infections. They often develop in warm and moist places and wearing sweaty clothes for a long time could put you to risk.
- Parasitic infection: Organism and tiny insects when lay eggs under an individual’s skin it leads to an infection of this type.
Now the treatment of the infection is based on the severity. There are different options that once can choose from, you could buy some over the counter creams and sprays, pop up an antibiotic or treat it via skin fungal infection treatment home remedies. In most of the cases a tropical antibiotic works just fine in getting rid of these but in some you need to visit a doctor and even go for oral antibiotic courses. Ketomac cream is another option that works great in getting rid of most of the infections. Made with primarily ketoconozole that kills the bacteria by getting in its membranes and forming holes in them and further leaking out all the fungi, this is great cream that one should try out. This tropical antifungal cream can be used for treatment of both yeast and fungal infections and that too without any sort of side effects.
Home Remedies for Skin Infection
Some home remedies that have been used for a while now and worked well are:
- Turmeric: known as an antibacterial herb, this is great for treatment. One could either consume it or even apply a paste made with turmeric on the affected area.
- Apple cider vinegar: the itchiness and the dryness that is caused by most of the infections can be greatly taken care by apple cider vinegar.
- Neem Leaf extract: Considered as a natural detoxifier and antifungal for several years now, this small little plant extract could get you rid of some the most severe cases of infections also.
- Coconut Oil: Loaded with fatty acids, which break the cell membranes of the fungus, coconut oil is great for mild to moderate cases of infection.Some of the others are tea tree oil, oregano oil, and garlic.