Dandruff is a problem which almost every adult has to deal with. Many kids are also known to suffer from dandruff issues. Dandruff is such a common hair problem that almost every person has experienced it once in their lifetime. Dandruff in kids can be especially problematic as it can cause a lot of irritation as well as itching on the scalp. As kids play a lotoutdoors, they are more susceptible to dust which causes dandruff in them.
But what exactly is dandruff? It is mainly the dead pieces of skin that are found in the hair of a person which actually lead to the formation of white flakes and causes itchiness. This happens when inadequate hair protection from pollution is maintained. Such kind of dandruff is extremely common, but in some rare cases, it develops into something much more serious like seborrhoeic dermatitis, which causes the inflammation of the scalp area.
The causes of dandruff are a lot of things in adults, but in children, the reasons are basically the ones given below.
- The improper shampooing of the kids’ hair can eventually cause dandruff in the child’s head. When we shampoo our hair, the dead cells need to be washed away properly. But this does not happen when a child’s hair is not washed properly. In this way,the dead cells get accumulated on the kid’s scalp, and it results in dandruff.
- Malnutrition is one of the major reasons why children suffer from dandruff. Kids have a lot of drama regarding food. They don’t like eating healthy veggies and will try to avoid eating them in any way possible. While they will be always ready to munch on unhealthy junk food. This doesn’t allow them to have a nutritious diet which leads to dandruff.
- Occasionally the hair products that you use on your child’s hair might not suit them and this cases dandruff. You can change these effects by changing the products that you use. Sometimes the products are also not sufficient to provide hair protection from sun damage and other kinds of elements. But a proper consultation with a doctor is always recommended.
- Malassezia is a yeast-like fungus that grows rapidly and causes a disturbance in the growth of the cells. Some sort of illness or changes in the hormones in kids causes this fungus to emerge. The consequences are most often dandruff.
- Another disease is seborrhoeic dermatitis which is also commonly known as eczema. It causes the inflammation of the skin. It doesn’t go away easily, but fortunately, dandruff is just a milder form of this disease.
Dandruff is well-known and thus noticing that your child has dandruff is also going to be quite easy. Whenever you notice the symptoms, you should immediately take effective measures to control it. If you see visible white coloured dry flakes on the scalp or even the outfits of your child, the scalp area filled with oily flakes, your child is itching his or her scalp area continuously, red patches on the scalp which are caused due to excessive itching or dandruff, it calls for your instant attention.
If your child has mild dandruff, then you don’t have to worry about any serious consequences to his or her scalp. But if it develops into the condition seborrhoeic dermatitis, Malassezia, eczema or psoriasis, then your child’s scalp will get inflamed and turn red. Though it is very rare, still you should immediately consult with a doctor in case any such symptoms occur. The doctor will suggest an effective treatment to provide relief to your child.
The skin of kids are quite sensitive, so much care must be taken when you try our regular dandruff treatments on your kid. Here are a few treatments that are tried and tested to be safe for children.
- A good medicated shampoo can help your kid’s dandruff condition a lot. Any regular shampoo will not be helping in removing or controlling the dandruff condition, while some might actually be causing it to fester. Consulting with a skin specialist is highly recommended as he or she can tell you exactly the kind of medicated shampoo to get that would help improve your child’s condition. The shampoo Ketomac is also quite well known to be effective in removing dandruff as well as being safe on children.
- Dandruff is most often caused due to the dry condition and your body being dehydrated. So you should make sure that your child is properly hydrated at all times. Ask them to drink more and more water. If they don’t do it, then you need to provide them with measured quantities of water at regular intervals. This will surely improve the dandruff condition.
- Before you shampoo your kid’s hair with the medicated shampoo, you should brush your child’s hair thoroughly. Brushing will remove the dead skin cells and the flakes to some extent, thus making it easy for the shampoo to do its work. This way you will get maximum efficiency from the shampoo.
- You must ensure that all your children have their own personal towels and combs and that they use their ones at all times. The germs can easily transfer from one child to the other when they share combs or towels, and those germs also boost other dandruff issues. Thus separate towels and combs will ensure that the condition doesn’t spread.
- As it was mentioned in the causes, malnutrition can cause dandruff. So you have to make sure that your child is receiving proper nutrition on a daily basis. Make sure that your child eats all the green and leafy vegetables. Carbohydrates and proteins also help maintain healthy and moist skin, so they will also help completely remove dandruff.
- You should oil the scalp of your child regularly and also shampoo regularly. This will help keep your child’s scalp and hair stay moist and healthy. The oil moisturises the scalp and shampoo removes dirt and dust. Together they become the best hair care system.
If you follow these hair care tips and advice properly, your child will be free of dandruff in short time.